Saturday, December 17, 2011

My ex-girlfriend was essentially right when she said to me something to the effect of "Why do you care so much about politics? You don't care about people!"

Of course, her claims were in favor of political passivity: stop paying attention, because what you do doesn't matter; things happen, and you can't influence them. The outside world doesn't matter, so focus exclusively on your family and friends. But we know from history that people, coming together, can do incredible things. The problem is that I am not a part of humanity. I look like them, but I am not one of them. I can't take part in a movement because I can't leave the house. I can't be involved in my community because I'm not a part of it. I can't influence people because people don't care about me. There's no one even willing to talk to me.

So I follow the news, not as closely as I once did, and miss out on things that are days or weeks old sometimes, and feel dumb. I post pronouncements and links and the occasional petition on Facebook in lieu of doing something else, because that is the most I can actually do. But there is no point, because no one is actually interested in what I have to say.

I just fucking take up space.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe politics -- in a positive sense of the term, not the electoral idiocy -- actually is a *way* of caring about people? And maybe not everybody has the same way?

    Oocytes, do you have an Occupation in your neighborhood? If so, pay 'em a visit. You don't have to do or say anything. Just be there. That's huge, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stand up and be counted, as they say. Simply voicing your opinion will make you an enemy of the state at the going rate. You and I both know this for paying attention, so cheer up! Things will get worse before they really get better. That or the Ancient Aliens will bring back the sociosexual holy water...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh? I have a hard time imagining no one is even willing to talk to you. Your commentary on the bl**s always seems intelligent and considered. I'd talk to you.

    I've often felt in my life that I am a perpetual outsider, never able to integrate with any community. I gather you feel the same way. I don't think this is an unusual feeling, I think it's the norm. This is the product of an atomized society: disaffected strangers who each feel "No one is like me." Perhaps not; but the fact that you have not YET found those you can engage with does not mean such people don't exist; the list of people who I can identify with is small, and they are also eclectic weirdos who lament their marginal status in society. And in my experience the people who end up going outside and standing in the street protesting are the weirdest of all (I'm thinking of the Spartacist Youth League, here - those guys have issues).

    So, be weird. You are not alone in being that way, and the best way to find others to celebrate your idiosyncrasy with is to revel in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. look into 'Anonymous', you may be able to do much more than you seem to think.
    one site is anonops http://anonops.bz/

    and AnonNews http://www.anonnews.org/

    ReplyDelete